Nuno N. Correia is a researcher and audiovisual artist. He is interested in multisensory user experience. Since 2000, he has been teaching and conducting research in media art and design, in universities in Portugal, Finland and the UK. He is currently Senior Lecturer in Digital Media at University of Greenwich. He is also Principal Investigator of the 2-year Creative Europe EU project “Moving Digits“, on dance, technology and visualization. He was a Marie Curie EU research fellow at Goldsmiths, University of London, leading the project “Enabling Audiovisual User Interfaces”. Nuno holds a PhD in New Media from Aalto University (Finland), with the thesis “Interactive Audiovisual Objects“ (also published as a book). Previously, he has worked at the design consultancy Fjord (Accenture group), including consulting work for Nokia/Microsoft and HP. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
Nuno’s work has been presented in more than 20 countries, in such festivals and venues as ACM Multimedia – Interactive Arts (Scottsdale), Electro-Mechanica (St. Petersburg), FILE (São Paulo), ISEA (Istanbul), Le Cube (Paris), Mapping (Geneva), NAME (Lille), Optronica / British Film Institute (London), PixelAche / Kiasma (Helsinki) and SXSW (Austin). His articles have been published at conferences such as CHI (the main conference in Human-Computer Interaction), NIME (New Interfaces for Musical Expression), SMC (Sound and Music Computing) and TEI (Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction); as well as at the International Journal of Art and Technology, Journal of Visual Art Practice, Leonardo Electronic Almanac and the Intermedial Arts book. He is part of the editorial board of the Baltic Screen Media Review journal, and has been guest editor of the Creative Technologies journal. Nuno’s projects have been featured in CreativeApplications.Net, Create Digital Motion, The Creators Project, Leonardo Reviews and Digicult, among other specialised media.
Areas of expertise
interaction design, multisensory user experience, audiovisual composition, sound and music computing, mobile and ubiquitous media
Academic Professional Experience
- 2018-… : University of Greenwich (UK)
Senior Lecturer in Digital Media
- 2016-18 : University of Madeira, Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (Portugal)
- 2014-16: Goldsmiths, University of London (UK)
Marie Curie Research Fellow; Guest lecturer – MA Computational Arts
- 2011-14: Aalto University, Media Lab Helsinki (Finland)
Lecturer – MA New Media Production
- 2007-11: Aalto University, Media Lab Helsinki (Finland)
Doctoral student (FCT Portugal fellowship)
- 2000-06: ISTEC (Portugal)
Lecturer – BSc Multimedia Engineering
- 2019-…: Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (UK)
Other Professional Experience
- 2007: Fjord Helsinki (Finland)
Senior Interaction Designer; Service Design Lead
- 1995-2000: Caixa Geral de Depósitos (Portugal)
Technical Assistant, International Division
- 2006-13: PhD, Aalto University (Finland)
New Media Art and Design, thesis: Interactive Audiovisual Objects, supervisors Prof. Tapio Takala, Prof. Sergi Jordà
- 2001-04: MSc, University of Lisbon, ISEG (Portugal)
Innovation Management, thesis: Multimedia in Portugal – Innovation Dynamics, supervisor Prof. Manuel Mira Godinho
- 1990-94: BSc, University of Minho (Portugal)
Grants and Fellowships
- 2018-20: Creative Europe grant from the European Union for the project Enabling Audiovisual User Interfaces, led at Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (with other 4 partners), Principal Investigator.
- 2014-16: Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship from the European Union for the project Enabling Audiovisual User Interfaces, hosted by Goldsmiths, University of London, supervised by Prof. Atau Tanaka.
- 2013-14: Aalto University, Media Factory seed funding for the research project AVVX – Web Platform for Audiovisual Performance, Principal Investigator
- 2012: Doctoral scholarship from Aalto University.
- 2007-11: Doctoral scholarship from Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT), Portugal.
- 2005 Pedagogical certificate by the Portuguese Institute of Employment and Professional Education.
Aalto University (Finland) – Master in New Media Production:
- 2017-20 Generative Media Coding – Developing for generative media and interaction design with openFrameworks/C++ (advanced programming course).
- 2011-20 Multitouch Interaction – Mobile design and development with openFrameworks/C++.
- 2007-16 Multimedia Authoring – Developing for generative media and interaction design with Adobe Flash.
Tallinn University (Estonia)
- 2012-14 Master in Human-Computer Interaction, Department of Informatics: Developing Interactive Systems – Interaction design and rapid prototyping (openFrameworks).
- 2012-13 Master in Crossmedia Production, Baltic Film and Media School: Crossmedia Project Management – Project management for crossmedia projects.
- 2010 Tallinn Summer School Workshop in Creative Industries: Multimedia Project Management – Project management for multimedia projects.
- 2009-10 Master in Interactive Media and Knowledge Environments, Department of Informatics: Digital Interactive Audio – Introduction to sound design for interactive media.
Hochschule Rhein-Waal (Germany)
- 2017 Master in Digital Media: Interactive Systems – Interaction design and media authoring with openFrameworks / C++.
Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre (Estonia)
- 2013 Master in Audiovisual Composition: Visual music, audiovisual composition and synesthesia – sound visualization with vector graphics.
Estonian Academy of Arts (Estonia)
- 2007-08 Master in New Media: Multimedia Authoring – Interactive media development (Adobe Flash).
Instituto Piaget (Portugal) – Post-Graduate course in ICT:
- 2005-06 Internet Technologies – Web-design course with HTML.
- 2005-06 Multimedia Communication Technologies – Multimedia design course with Adobe Flash.
ISEC – Instituto Superior de Ensino e Ciências (Portugal)
- 2005-06 Post-Graduate course in Web Design: Design Management – entrepreneurship and project management in digital design.
ESTAL – Escola Superior de Tecnologias e Artes de Lisboa (Portugal)
- 2005-06 BA in Design: Web Design – Web-design course with HTML and Adobe Flash.
- 2003-06 Post-Graduate course in Web Design: Multimedia Design Management – innovation, entrepreneurship and management in digital design.
E-Learning Course Development
- 2010 Multimedia Development – Introduction to web development online course, created for Tallinn University under the BeST e-learning programme by the European Social Foundation.
Supervisor and Examiner
PhD theses – Supervisor
- 2019-(ongoing) Supervisor of 1 PhD candidate, University of Greenwich.
- 2017-(ongoing) Supervisor of 1 PhD candidate, University of Madeira / Nova University of Lisbon.
PhD theses – Examiner
- 2019 Examined 1 PhD transfer viva (from MPhil), University of Greenwich (School of Design)
- 2018 Examined 1 PhD thesis, University of Porto.
- 2015 Examined 1 PhD thesis, Aalto University.
Master theses – Supervisor
- 2008-20 Supervised 7 Master theses, Aalto University (all completed).
- 2013 Supervised 2 Master theses, Tallinn University (both completed).
Master theses – Examiner
- 2008-18 Examined 10 Master theses, Aalto University.
- 2017-18 Examined 3 Master theses, University of Madeira.
- 2017 Examined 1 Master thesis, Tallinn University.
General Audience Workshops Conducted (Creative Coding, AV)
- 2017/11 Generative AV Workshop, Faculdade de Belas Artes, Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal;
- 2016/03 Generative AV Hackathon, Goldsmiths, University of London, UK;
- 2015/07 Generative AV Hackathon, Music Hackspace, London, UK;
- 2014/12 Generative AV Hackathon, Goldsmiths, University of London, UK;
- 2014/09 Generative AV Workshop, Goldsmiths, University of London, UK;
- 2014/02 AVVX Workshop, Media Factory, Aalto University, Helsinki, Finland;
- 2013/11 Emotional Window Workshop, Slovenian Independent Bienalle, Ljubljana, Slovenia;
- 2013/10 AVVX Workshop, 9K1Nams, Creative Coding festival, Riga, Latvia;
- 2013/09 Emotional Window Workshop, Aalto Media Factory, Helsinki, Finland;
- 2013/04 AVVX Workshop, Aalto FabLab, Pixel Ache festival, Helsinki, Finland;
- 2012/07 AVVX Workshop, Slovenian Independent Bienalle, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- 2019 – Sound, Image and Interaction. Special issue: EAI Endorsed Transactions on Creative Technologies.
- 2008 – Digital Tools – A New Way to Interact with the World. Working Papers F35. Helsinki: University of Art and Design Helsinki
Organising Committee Membership
- 2018, 20 – SIIDS (Sound, Image and Interaction Design Symposium), Madeira – Founder, General Chair
- 2017 – ICIDS (Interactive Digital Storytelling), Madeira
- 2014 – NIME (New Interfaces for Musical Expression), London
- 2014 – AVX (Audiovisual Exchange Symposium), Helsinki – Founder, General Chair
Programme Committee Membership (*)
- 2017, 18, 19, 20 – xCoAx (Computation, Communication, Aesthetics)
- 2018 – Participatory Design Conference
- 2017 – CHI Play – Associate Chair
- 2017 – Audio Mostly
- 2015 – IFIP-ICEC (Entertainment Computing)
- 2020 – CHI Play
- 2020 – NordiCHI
- 2020 – HCI Journal
- 2020 – CHI-Alt.CHI track
- 2019 – CHI
- 2019 – Intetain
- 2019 – Leonardo Journal
- 2018 – NIME (New Interfaces for Musical Expression)
- 2018 – Leonardo Journal (awarded “Outstanding Peer Reviewer” )
- 2017 – ISS (Interactive Spaces and Surfaces)
- 2017 – Artech
- 2017 – The Visual Computer Journal
- 2017 – WiderScreen Journal
- 2017 – DIS (Designing Interactive Systems)
- 2017 – Creativity & Cognition
- 2016 – CHI
- 2015 – ICMC (Music Computing)
- 2015 – TVX (TV Interaction and User Experience)
- 2015 – ICLI (Live Interfaces)
- 2014 – Digital Creativity
(*) in addition to Program Committee Membership above
- 2018 – Estonian Research Council (ETAg) Mobilitas Pluss postdoctoral grant application
Jury Member – Artistic Awards
- 2012 – Semibreve Award, Braga (Portugal);
- 2012 – Cut&Paste, Motion Graphics competition, Helsinki (Finland);
- 2011 – Euro ITV Grand Challenge, Lisbon (Portugal);
- 2008 – Videofestival Bochum VJ contest, Bochum (Germany).
Prizes / Awards Received
- 2011 – Association for the Promotion of Multimedia and Digital Society in Portugal (Portugal): Finalist of National Multimedia Award, Art and Culture section, with AV Clash project;
- 2009 – Future Places festival (Portugal):vHonorable Mention Award for Master and Margarita project;
- 2008 – Ministry of Culture, Arts Institute (Portugal): Winner of Net.Art competition, AVOL project (one of four winning projects, financed by the Arts Institute, and hosted at their website).