Nuno N. Correia is a researcher and audiovisual artist. He is interested in multisensory user experience. Since 2000, he has been teaching and conducting research in media art and design, in universities in Portugal, Finland and the UK. He is currently Senior Lecturer in Digital Media at University of Greenwich. He is also Principal Investigator in the 2-year Creative Europe EU project Moving Digits, on dance, technology and visualization. Nuno holds an M.Sc in innovation management (with a thesis on digital media) from the University of Lisbon (ISEG) and a Doctor of Arts degree in New Media from Aalto University (Media Lab Helsinki), with the thesis “Interactive Audiovisual Objects“. He was a Marie Curie postdoctoral research fellow at Goldsmiths, University of London (EAVI Group), leading the project “Enabling Audiovisual User Interfaces”. Previously, he has worked at the design consultancy Fjord (Accenture), including consulting work for Nokia/Microsoft and HP.
Nuno’s work has been presented in more than 20 countries, in such festivals and venues as ACM Multimedia – Interactive Arts (Scottsdale), Electro-Mechanica (St. Petersburg), FILE (São Paulo), ISEA (Istanbul), Le Cube (Paris), Mapping (Geneva), NAME (Lille), Optronica / British Film Institute (London), PixelAche / Kiasma (Helsinki) and SXSW (Austin). His articles have been published at conferences such as ACE (Advances in Computer Entertainment), CHI (the main conference in Human-Computer Interaction), NIME (New Interfaces for Musical Expression), SMC (Sound and Music Computing) and TEI (Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction); as well as at the International Journal of Art and Technology, Journal of Visual Art Practice, Leonardo Electronic Almanac and the Intermedial Arts book. Nuno’s projects have been featured in CreativeApplications.Net, Create Digital Motion, The Creators Project, Leonardo Reviews and Digicult, among other specialised media.
Areas of expertise
interaction design, multisensory user experience, audiovisual composition, sound and music computing, mobile and ubiquitous media, innovation management
Academic Professional Experience
- 2018-… : University of Greenwich (United Kingdom)
Senior Lecturer in Digital Media
- 2016-18 : University of Madeira, Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (Portugal)
- 2014-16: Goldsmiths, University of London (United Kingdom)
Marie Curie Research Fellow; Guest lecturer – MA Computational Arts
- 2011-14: Aalto University, Media Lab Helsinki (Finland)
Lecturer – MA New Media Production
- 2007-11: Aalto University, Media Lab Helsinki (Finland)
Doctoral student (FCT Portugal fellowship)
- 2000-06: ISTEC (Portugal)
Lecturer – BSc Multimedia Engineering
Other Professional Experience
- 2007: Fjord Helsinki (Finland)
Senior Interaction Designer; Service Design Lead
- 1995-2000: Caixa Geral de Depósitos (Portugal)
Technical Assistant, International Division
- 2006-13: Phd, Aalto University (Finland)
New Media Art and Design, thesis: Interactive Audiovisual Objects, supervisors Prof. Tapio Takala, Prof. Sergi Jordà
- 2001-04: MSc, University of Lisbon, ISEG (Portugal)
Innovation Management, thesis: Multimedia in Portugal – Innovation Dynamics, supervisor Prof. Manuel Mira Godinho
- 1990-94: BSc, University of Minho (Portugal)
Grants and Fellowships
- 2018-20: Creative Europe grant from the European Union for the project Enabling Audiovisual User Interfaces, led at Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (with other 4 partners), Principal Investigator.
- 2014-16: Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship from the European Union for the project Enabling Audiovisual User Interfaces, hosted by Goldsmiths, University of London, supervised by Prof. Atau Tanaka.
- 2013-14: Aalto University, Media Factory seed funding for the research project AVVX – Web Platform for Audiovisual Performance, Principal Investigator
- 2007-11: Doctoral scholarship from Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT), Portugal.
Aalto University (Finland) – Master in New Media Production:
- 2017-20 Generative Media Coding – Developing for generative media and interaction design with openFrameworks/C++ (advanced programming course).
- 2011-20 Multitouch Interaction – Mobile design and development with openFrameworks/C++.
- 2007-16 Multimedia Authoring – Developing for generative media and interaction design with Adobe Flash.
Hochschule Rhein-Waal (Germany)
- 2017 Master in Digital Media: Interactive Systems – Interaction design and media authoring with openFrameworks / C++.
Tallinn University (Estonia)
- 2012-14 Master in Human-Computer Interaction, Department of Informatics: Developing Interactive Systems – Interaction design and rapid prototyping (openFrameworks).
- 2012-13 Master in Crossmedia Production, Baltic Film and Media School: Crossmedia Project Management – Project management for crossmedia projects.
- 2010 Tallinn Summer School Workshop in Creative Industries: Multimedia Project Management – Project management for multimedia projects.
- 2009-10 Master in Interactive Media and Knowledge Environments, Department of Informatics: Digital Interactive Audio – Introduction to sound design for interactive media.
Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre (Estonia)
- 2013 Master in Audiovisual Composition: Visual music, audiovisual composition and synesthesia – sound visualization with vector graphics.
Estonian Academy of Arts (Estonia)
- 2007-08 Master in New Media: Multimedia Authoring – Interactive media development (Adobe Flash).
Instituto Piaget (Portugal) – Post-Graduate course in ICT:
- 2005-06 Internet Technologies – Web-design course with HTML.
- 2005-06 Multimedia Communication Technologies – Multimedia design course with Adobe Flash.
ISEC – Instituto Superior de Ensino e Ciências (Portugal)
- 2005-06 Post-Graduate course in Web Design: Design Management – entrepreneurship and project management in digital design.
ESTAL – Escola Superior de Tecnologias e Artes de Lisboa (Portugal)
- 2005-06 BA in Design: Web Design – Web-design course with HTML and Adobe Flash.
- 2003-06 Post-Graduate course in Web Design: Multimedia Design Management – innovation, entrepreneurship and management in digital design.
- 2017/06 – Intetain – International Conference on Intelligent Technologies for Interactive Entertainment
- 2019/09 – Instituto Superior Técnico, University of Lisbon (Portugal) Subject: Moving Digits
- 2019/05 – University of Madeira, Funchal (Portugal) Subject: Moving Digits
- 2018/11 – Instituto Superior Técnico, University of Lisbon (Portugal) Subject: User-Centered Design and Multisensory UX
- 2017/08 – Hochschule Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf (Germany) Subject: Enabling AVUIs
- 2016/11 – Universidade da Beira Interior, Covilhã (Portugal) Subject: Enabling AVUIs
- 2016/06 – Splice Festival – Rich Mix, London (UK) Subject: ofxAVUI
- 2016/05 – MITI – Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute, Funchal (Portugal) Subject: Enabling AVUIs
- 2016/04 – Alexandrinsky Theatre, New Stage, St. Petersburg (Russia) Subject: ofxAVUI
- 2016/04 – Varvara and Mar Studio, Tallinn (Estonia) Subject: Enabling AVUIs
- 2016/03 – MiXD, Music Interaction Design – Birmingham Conservatoire, Birmingham (UK) Subject: AVZones
- 2015/11 – Nesta – National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts, London (UK) Subject: ShapeTones
- 2015/11 – Queen Mary, University of London, C4DM group, London (UK) Subject: ShapeTones
- 2015/08 – Queen Mary, University of London, London (UK) Subject: Enabling AVUIs
- 2015/03 – Alexandrinsky Theatre, St. Petersburg (Russia) Subject: Enabling AVUIs [photos]
- 2015/03 – London Music Hackspace, London (United Kingdom) Subject: Enabling AVUIs
- 2015/02 – VJ London, London (United Kingdom) Subject: Enabling AVUIs [photos]
- 2015/01 – Sound Bureau Katowice, Katowice (Poland) Subject: Enabling AVUIs
- 2014/06 – Goldsmiths, University of London (UK) Subject: Enabling AVUIs
- 2014/03 – EstCHI presentation, Garage48, Tallinn (Estonia) [photos]
- 2013/11 – Art of New Media Forum, Arseniev Museum, Vladivostok (Russia) [photos]
- 2013/08 – Presentation at Taiga Space, St. Petersburg (Russia)
- 2013/06 – New University of Lisbon, Aesthetics and Media seminar, Lisbon (Portugal)
- 2013/06 – Realtime Visuals Seminar, Goldsmiths, University of London (UK) [photos]
- 2012/11 – Digital Media Arts Forum, St. Petersburg State University of Film and TV (Russia) [photos]
- 2011/05 – Newcastle University, Culture Lab (United Kingdom)
- 2011/05 – European Humanities University, Vilnius (Lithuania) [photos]
- 2011/02 – Presentation on Visual Music and Video Jack projects, Satta, Vilnius (Lithuania) [photos]
- 2011/01 – New Digital Tools panel discussion, Design Museum, Helsinki (Finland) [photos]
- 2010/05 – Presentation at e-Vent, Tallinn University (Estonia) [photos]
- 2009/03 – Tusovka, Korajaamo, Helsinki (Finland) [photos]
- 2009/02 – Estonian Academy of Arts, Doctoral seminar, Tallinn (Estonia)
- 2008/11 – Presentation at St. Petersburg University of Film and Television, (Russia) [photos]
- 2008/07 – Encontros de Arte e Design, Escola Superior de Educação, Coimbra (Portugal) [photos]
- 2008/02 – Hyper Island, Karlskrona (Sweden) [photos]
- 2008/02 – Hyper Island, Stockholm (Sweden) [photos]
- 2007/05 – Media Lab Demo Day (first of several presentations), TaiK, Helsinki (Finland) [photos]
- 2007/04 – Tartu Art College, Tartu (Estonia) [photos]
- 2007/03 – Presentation at PixelAche 2007, Kiasma, Helsinki (Finland) [photos]
- 2019 – EAI Endorsed Transactions on Creative Technologies – Special issue on: Sound, Image and Interaction
Programme Committee Membership:
- 2017-20 – xCoAx (Computation, Communication, Aesthetics)
- 2018 – Participatory Design Conference
- 2017 – CHI Play – Associate Chair
- 2017 – Audio Mostly
- 2015 – IFIP-ICEC (Entertainment Computing)
Organising Committee Membership:
- 2018 – SIIDS (Sound, Image and Interaction Doctoral Symposium), Madeira – General Chair
- 2017 – ICIDS (Interactive Digital Storytelling), Madeira
- 2014 – NIME (New Interfaces for Musical Expression), London
- 2014 – AVX (Audiovisual Exchange Symposium), Helsinki – General Chair
- 2019 – CHI
- 2019 – Leonardo Journal
- 2018 – NIME (New Interfaces for Musical Expression)
- 2018 – Leonardo Journal (awarded “Outstanding Peer Reviewer” )
- 2017 – ISS (Interactive Spaces and Surfaces)
- 2017 – Artech
- 2017 – The Visual Computer Journal
- 2017 – WiderScreen Journal
- 2017 – DIS (Designing Interactive Systems)
- 2017 – Creativity & Cognition
- 2016 – CHI
- 2015 – ICMC (Music Computing)
- 2015 – TVX (TV Interaction and User Experience)
- 2015 – ICLI (Live Interfaces)
- 2014 – Digital Creativity