Contact: mail [at] nunocorreia [dot] com
Nuno N. Correia is a London-based researcher and audiovisual artist. He is interested in digital performances and multisensory user experience. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (UK). Since 2000, he has been teaching and conducting research in media art and design, in universities in Portugal, Finland and the UK. He is currently Senior Lecturer in Digital Media at University of Greenwich. He was Principal Investigator of the 2-year Creative Europe EU project “Moving Digits“, on dance, technology and visualization. He was a Marie Curie EU research fellow at Goldsmiths, University of London, leading the project “Enabling Audiovisual User Interfaces”. Nuno holds a PhD in New Media from Aalto University (Finland), with the thesis “Interactive Audiovisual Objects”. Previously, he has worked at the design consultancy Fjord, including work for Nokia, Microsoft and HP.
Nuno’s work has been presented in more than 20 countries, in such festivals and venues as ACM Multimedia – Interactive Arts (Scottsdale), Electro-Mechanica (St. Petersburg), FILE (São Paulo), ISEA (Istanbul), Le Cube (Paris), Mapping (Geneva), NAME (Lille), Optronica / British Film Institute (London), PixelAche / Kiasma (Helsinki) and SXSW (Austin). He has organized multiple audiovisual performances and media arts exhibitions. His projects have been featured in CreativeApplications.Net, Create Digital Motion, The Creators Project, Leonardo Reviews and Digicult, among other specialised media. Nuno’s articles have been published at conferences such as CHI (the main conference in Human-Computer Interaction), NIME (New Interfaces for Musical Expression), SMC (Sound and Music Computing), Audio Mostly and TEI (Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction); as well as at the International Journal of Art and Technology, Journal of Visual Art Practice, Leonardo Electronic Almanac and the Intermedial Arts book. He is part of the editorial board of the Baltic Screen Media Review journal, and has been guest editor of two special issues of the Creative Technologies journal. He is founder and chair of the SIIDS conference (Sound, Image and Interaction Design Symposium).
Areas of expertise
interaction design, multisensory user experience, audiovisual composition, sound and music computing, mobile and ubiquitous media
Academic Professional Experience
- 2018-… : University of Greenwich (UK)
Senior Lecturer in Digital Media
- 2016-18 : University of Madeira, Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (Portugal)
- 2014-16: Goldsmiths, University of London (UK)
Marie Curie Research Fellow; Guest lecturer – MA Computational Arts
- 2011-14: Aalto University, Media Lab Helsinki (Finland)
Lecturer – MA New Media Production
- 2007-11: Aalto University, Media Lab Helsinki (Finland)
Doctoral student (FCT Portugal fellowship); Guest lecturer MA New Media Production
- 2000-06: ISTEC (Portugal)
Lecturer – BSc Multimedia Engineering
Other Professional Experience
- 2007: Fjord Helsinki (Finland)
Senior Interaction Designer; Service Design Lead
- 1995-2000: Caixa Geral de Depósitos (Portugal)
Technical Assistant, International Division
- 2013: AppCampus – Nokia/Microsoft (Finland)
Freelance Consultant, coaching in mobile design to Windows Phone developers
- 2005: Portuguese Institute of Industrial Property INPI (Portugal)
Developed research on use of intellectual property in the plastic and moulds industry in Portugal, with MSc thesis supervisor Prof. Manuel Mira Godinho, resulting in a book report.
- 2006-13: PhD, Aalto University (Finland)
New Media Art and Design, thesis: Interactive Audiovisual Objects, supervisors Prof. Tapio Takala, Prof. Sergi Jordà
- 2001-04: MSc, University of Lisbon, ISEG (Portugal)
Innovation Management, thesis: Multimedia in Portugal – Innovation Dynamics, supervisor Prof. Manuel Mira Godinho
- 1990-94: BSc, University of Minho (Portugal)
- 2019-…: Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (UK)
- 2005: Pedagogical certificate by the Portuguese Institute of Employment and Professional Education.
Prizes / Awards Received
- 2011: Association for the Promotion of Multimedia and Digital Society in Portugal (Portugal): Finalist of National Multimedia Award, Art and Culture section, with AV Clash project;
- 2009: Future Places festival (Portugal): Honorable Mention Award for Master and Margarita project;
- 2008: Ministry of Culture, Arts Institute (Portugal): Winner of Net.Art competition, AVOL project (one of four winning projects, financed by the Arts Institute, and hosted at their website).